Ralf Rangnick could face a huge “problem” if he leaves Cristiano Ronaldo on the bench at Man Utd, according to former Premier League striker Gabby Agbonlahor.

The Red Devils announced earlier this week that the German would become their new interim boss until the end of the season, subject to him getting a work permit.

Michael Carrick has been in charge of their last two matches against Villarreal and Chelsea following Ole Gunnar Solskjaer’s sacking and will again be in the dugout for their clash against Arsenal tonight.


Man United v Arsenal: The great rivalry is relevant once more


Summer signing Ronaldo has been dropped to the bench a couple of times this season with Carrick leaving him out of the starting XI at Chelsea.

Leading to rumours that Carrick was already implementing Rangnick’s new tactics and line-up before his arrival – but the former midfielder denied those claims.

Ronaldo has been accused of failing to press since his return to Old Trafford and there’s speculation Rangnick will leave him out because of his style of play.

And former Aston Villa striker Agbonlahor reckons Ronaldo would “rather retire than be a benchwarmer” under Rangnick.

Agbonlahor told Football Insider: “If Rangnick has to drop Ronaldo how will that affect the rest of the squad?

“Ronaldo will be a big voice in that changing room and he won’t want to be on the bench. Rangnick will have a problem if he chooses to leave the talisman on the bench.

“Ronaldo will not accept that, no way. He won’t mind being rested over Christmas when there are two games, three games in a week. That’s different, we all know you have to have rest.

“To not play regularly though, Ronaldo is not that guy. I’m sure Ronaldo would rather retire than be a benchwarmer. He’s not that guy, he wants to play every game. It will be interesting to see what happens. He could end up retiring.”

Meanwhile, Man Utd caretaker manager Carrick says he has not yet spoken to incoming interim boss Rangnick. He said on Wednesday: “I haven’t got anything to update on.

“The process of the work permit and visa is ongoing as we speak. I am in this position, as I was for Villarreal and Chelsea. I’m getting the boys ready for game tomorrow night.

“It is pretty much as it was for both games. Because of the process we haven’t been able to (speak). We have carried on as we have done. It has worked well for the last two games and hopefully it will tomorrow.”

 





Source link